How to Install Rubber Tile for a Home Gym
Maintaining a fitness routine amidst the COVID-19 pandemic has sparked a gargantuan demand for home gyms.
No wonder every four in five people in the United States have got at least one home fitness product.
Besides providing a safety quotient, home gyms offer flexibility to work out any time during the day.
So, if you are considering installing your dream workout space or want to upgrade your existing home gym flooring with rubber tiles, it’s obvious to have queries like –
- How to install rubber tile flooring for a home gym?
- Is rubber tile flooring safe?
- Is it robust enough to provide cushioning and support?
- Can it absorb the noise of weights during the workout?
In this post, we will address all such queries along with the steps that will ensure the successful rubber tile installation for your dream home gym.
Let’s get started.
Steps to Install Rubber Tile for Your Home Gym
Here are the key steps that will help you install rubber tile for your home gym.
#1: Choose the Right Space
First and foremost, think of how much space you need for the workout zone.
If you plan to do Yoga or Pilates, a small space would be enough. But if your workouts comprise heavy exercises, like bear crawls or burpees, a spacious room is a must. Remember that you will need extra space to accommodate home gym equipment.
Select the best room or spot in your home. It could be a spare bedroom, the garage, or even your living room.
Whatever spot you decide to break a sweat, make sure there is good ventilation and natural light. They can boost your mood and keep the sweat odor at bay when doing intense workouts.
Besides, the rubber tiles have high slip resistance. Also, there’s no sweat built up even after heavy workouts.
#2: Gather Essential Equipment
Whether you’re a CrossFit acolyte, a dedicated weight lifter, or a yoga enthusiast, it is crucial to have the right equipment to create a reliable home gym setup. You might not have a big budget to create a workout zone that replicates your go-to gym, but you can buy cost-effective gear that can suffice.
Turbocharge your workout sessions with the following home gym equipment.
- Adjustable Dumbbells – for weight training
- Treadmill – for cardio
- Power Cage – for barbell squat, bench press, and deadlift
- Reversible Mat – for Yoga, Pilates, and basic stretching
- Suspension Training System – for bodyweight workout
With rubber tiles, you don’t have to worry about the noise transfer that is produced on dropping heavy equipment and weights. The shock-absorbing capacity and durability of rubber tile flooring make it an ideal fit for home gyms.
The only thing you should ensure is that all types of equipment are safe. This thoughtful step can save you from accidental injuries.
Setting up music speakers can further make the workout session impactful. If your budget permits, install at least one mirror in your gym. Besides enhancing the aesthetic appeal of the home gym, it can help you with your body postures.
#3: Create an Even Surface
For workouts, you need a solid floor with great shock-absorbing potential.
Installing rubber tiles on the existing carpet areas can make the subfloor uneven. It can increase the risk of severe fall injuries during a rigorous workout. Physical activities can further impact the wear and tear of rubber tiles.
So, for carpeted areas, you can go with one of the following options-
- Remove the Carpet – This is the simple and most inexpensive option. Getting rid of the carpet will help you create a stable surface for your home gym.
- Add Plywood – If you don’t wish to remove the carpet, consider adding a layer of plywood to it. Once it’s done, cover it up with rubber tiles to create an even surface. But, this method will need time, effort, and patience.
If you choose this option, you will need the following supplies.
- Tape Measure
- Plywood Sheet
- T-square Ruler
- White Pencil
- Utility Knife
Remove all the clutter and lay a plastic sheet over the plywood in proper shape as per your room’s size. The protective plastic layer will keep the plywood protected from staining.
The benefit? You will have a gorgeous floor if you decide to remove the rubber tiles for any reason in the future.
#4: Cut and Connect The Tiles
Measure your room’s size and cut the tiles to fit appropriately.
Use the white pencil to mark the measurement. It will help you complete the installation process fast without any hassles. Trim the rubber tiles using the utility knife.
Start from the corner of a wall and fix the rubber tiles evenly throughout the room. Ensure not to leave any space. Some areas might need cutting from angles. Perform the cutting with utmost care to avoid rework during the installation.
#5: Trim Lining Material
The extra plastic lining can look odd. So, trim the additional lining material at the end.
The entire process seems easy but needs high precision. We recommend you contact the best rubber tile installer – Rubcorp.
Rubcorp’s team has done several rubber tile flooring projects on different sub-floors, including carpet. It usually takes a couple of days for them to install the flooring. They inspect the existing state of the surface to ensure 100 percent success.
Check out this video to see why clients trust Rubcorp for installing rubber tiles for their home gym.
What Makes Rubcorp’s Rubber Tile Flooring Solution an Ideal Choice for Home Gyms?
Ready to upgrade your workout space? Here are the top reasons to consider Rubcorp’s rubber tile flooring solution.
- Noise Reduction: The tiles have high shock-absorbing ability, and hence, can reduce the noise of dropping the gym equipment.
- Durability: They can withstand heavy equipment being dropped or moved.
- Slip Resistance: They have anti-skid properties. They can sustain sweat buildup and water spillage to a large extent.
- Comfort: They provide enough cushioning for high-impact training and barefoot physical activities.
- Aesthetics: With Rubcorp’s rubber flooring solution, you can take your home gym’s aesthetic appeal a notch higher. They offer vibrant color choices to bring in fresh vibes that keep you charged up.
- Cost: They offer cost-effective rubber tile solutions.
- Maintenance: They need minimal maintenance to deal with the pressure of rigorous workouts. They only need a regular cleaning solution to remove dust and stains.
Due to the uncertainty of the situation, the demand for home gyms is at an all-time high.
The shared information in this article will help you install rubber tiles and make a solid workout zone at home.
Rubcorp can further help you get a step ahead of creating your dream home gym without any hassles.
Rubcorp’s Performance Line takes care of all the essential things. They have designed a system to reinvigorate your home workout lifestyle and take your fitness journey to the next level.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which flooring is used for the gym?
Rubber, carpet, foam, vinyl, and artificial turf are the top flooring options for home gyms. Out of these, rubber tile flooring is the best option as it is affordable, durable, easy to maintain and clean, and versatile.
How to install rubber tile flooring for a home gym?
You can install the rubber tiles by performing the following steps.
- Choose a clutter-free and ventilated space.
- Gather essential equipment.
- Create an even surface with a plastic sheet.
- Cut and connect the tiles.
- Remove the extra plastic material.
You can either manually install the rubber tiles or take the help of local rubber surfacing experts like Rubcorp.
Is rubber tile flooring safe for home gyms?
Yes, the rubber tile flooring is completely safe for home gyms. It is slip-resistant and tough. So, it can be safely installed in a home environment.
Is rubber tile robust enough to provide cushioning and support?
Yes, rubber tiles provide enough cushioning and support for workouts. This makes rubber tiles an ideal choice for gyms and play areas where the foot traffic is high and the floor is subject to a lot of shocks.
Can rubber tile absorb the noise of weights during the workout?
Yes, the rubber tiles have a high shock-absorption capacity that reduces the noise of weights during the workout.
How much does gym flooring cost?
Gym flooring is inexpensive in the long term. Get in touch with the most trustworthy rubber flooring expert Rubcorp, for details on pricing.
If you have any other queries related to rubber tile surfacing for home gyms, Rubcorp’s FAQ page can help. You can also contact our team, and we’ll be happy to assist you!